Friday, April 24, 2009

Edible Landscaping - Landscaping With a Purpose

Beautiful sunny day, hot tomorrow.


I got to thinking about my own landscaping. I have purposely planted some trees and shrubs for the birds to eat. I have also planted some edible things for me to eat but they are down in the fields out of the way, - me beloved blueberries and raspberries. I have also planted some holly so I can harvest it during the holidays. Other things I have planted purely for scent. But I do have a few shrubs that I chose for color or size. What was I thinking?

So besides eating, decorating (as in harvesting for decorating, not just sitting there pretty) and scent, there doesn't seem to be another really necessary category, unless of course I am missing something. I wish I had thought of this 10 years ago when I did my landscaping. I would have chosen to omit some shrubs. But admittedly I didn't do too badly.

In researching the idea of edible landscaping, it became clear that you really can landscape with those 3 categories in mind. - Edible (you and the critters), Decorative (cuttings like hydrangeas or holly) and Scent (lilacs). There is actually a website devoted to such a cause and you guessed it (well maybe not) it is called Edible Landscaping.

You might be surprised by what's listed for eating. I had no idea you could eat Dogwood. But it also begs the question - Why put your blue berries out in the field? Why can't they go along side your house?

The NGA or National Gardening Association also has great ideas about planting your foods.

Now is the time to think about your landscaping, changing it, adding to it or starting new. Think about edible landscaping as a new, greener and purposeful way to arrange your plantings. Happy eating!

No comments: